Alliteration is fun.
So is this salad! The combination of roma tomatoes, capsicum and raw sweet corn makes for one very sweet – almost fruity – salsa. Top that with a fresh chunky guacamole, bottom it with some chopped cos lettuce, and you’ve got a sweet salsa salad!
Sure, it’s salad, and tomorrow might be the coldest day yet this year, but that’s what jalepenos are for. Four days into my raw fruit and vegetable detox, I feel fantastic, and I really don’t care what people think about the appropriateness of lettuce in winter. I went for a run yesterday morning, yoga this evening, and according to Ash, I smell like plants. Green smoothies will do that. Winner!
Sweet salsa salad with guacamole (serves 2)
For the salsa
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 2 cobs of fresh sweet corn, kernels sliced off
- 1 small red capsicum, diced
- 2 tbsp diced jalepenos
- 1/2 bunch coriander, chopped
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- Salt to taste
For the guacamole
- 1 clove of garlic, smashed and chopped
- 1 roma tomato, finely diced
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1-2 tbsp lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- Mix salsa ingredients in a bowl and season with salt.
- Smash avocado into the guacamole ingredients with a fork, leaving it a bit chunky. Add lemon juice and salt to taste.
- Serve chopped baby cos lettuce topped with salsa and a generous spoonful of GUAC! (Ash hates it when I call it that)
Other ideas might be to make tacos, nachos or burritos with the salsa mix, perhaps adding red kidney or black beans. Pile on the guacamole and lettuce and any other salad ingredients (cucumber and carrot?) that tickle your fancy! If you’re not vegan you may not have discovered grilled avocado yet. I dare you to top a bowl of corn chips with a bean-ey salsa and guacamole and stick it in the oven for a bit. Creamy, dreamy and warm, who on earth eats cheese these days?