I cooked this meal a while ago for Ash’s mum. I started out to make these eggplant ‘rollatini’s but personally I prefer a tomato sauce with more kick(ass), so the recipe I actually write up here is what I plan on doing next time. And I doubled the spinach (from memory).
I served it with a salad from Super Natural Every Day, a cookbook by the author of 101cookbooks (see my favourite links on the right). It has strawberries and a balsamic vinegar dressing – ahhhhmazing. Fruit in savoury salad is so good. Balsamic is heavenly on anything. The salad went along the lines of baby spinach, strawberries, cashews and dressing.
Eggplant rollatini with kickass tomato sauce (serves 4, with leftovers)
- this recipe, made with double the spinach, and the following tomato sauce:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes (or more for more kicks)
- 2 tbsp pine nuts or some roughly chopped almonds/hazelnuts/walnuts
- 1/2 red capsicum, diced (or if you have the grilled and peeled stuff in a jar, use that instead)
- 1/4 cup sundried tomatoes, chopped finely
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives, chopped finely
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 tsp beef-flavoured stock powder (or a cube, crumbled)
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 400g tin diced tomatoes
- fresh basil, squished in your hand and then torn up
Method (for the tomato sauce)
- Heat olive oil in skillet. Saute onion until golden.
- Add garlic, chilli, nuts and capsicum and saute for a few more minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer until the sauce has thickened nicely.
- Season with salt and cracked pepper. Stir through basil.