I really didn’t want to start a blog just yet, but it seems like the only manageable way to share recipes in a format that allows them to be easily accessed, archived and formatted. Ah well.
Simple Puttanesca Beans
(serves 1 as a meal, 2 as a salad topping or snack)
This is the quick, easy, no cook version. Well, you can microwave it if you like, but it’s not necessary. And these are approximates at the moment. I promise that down the track I’ll take care to measure and record exact amounts for all my recipes. But to be quite honest, with this type of recipe, going by instinct and taste is perfectly ok. Hence why there are as many puttanesca recipes as there are cooks. If we were baking the story would be different.
This works as a dip, a salad topper, a snack, or honestly, just out of the bowl with a spoon as a tasty lunch. Don’t go on a date anytime in the following 12 hours.
- 1 400g tin cannellini beans, drained well
- 1 clove garlic, smashed, chopped and smashed again
- 1tsp chilli flakes
- 1tbsp capers, chopped finely
- 1/3 cup kalamata olives, pitted and chopped finely
- 3tbsp tomato paste
- 2tsp dried basil or a handful torn and squished fresh basil
- Splash lemon juice or red wine vinegar
- Fresh cracked pepper and salt to taste
Mix together with enthusiasm. Microwave if you wish.
Season to taste – if the flavours aren’t jumping out at you, add a little more salt and a little more vinegar or lemon juice. However, when seasoning, keep in mind that you can always add more, but you can’t take away.