Wicked chocolate ganache with sozzled strawberries (serves 8. I usually have to halve or quarter the recipe)
This is Ash’s most-requested dessert. It does require cocoa butter which is expensive, but it’s worth it. And use a good quality cocoa powder because the flavour will be determined by its quality. It’s not an everyday dessert, save it to serve to people you actually like, because it’s super-rich and the ingredients aren’t cheap.
Adapted from The Wannabe Chef
- 1 ¼ cups cashews (or any other nuts)
- 3tbsp cocoa powder
- ¼ cup maple syrup (or agave, or any other syrup)
- 1tbsp coconut oil
- 170g cocoa butter
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup syrup
- 2tbsp coconut oil
- 2tbsp soy milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1 punnet strawberries, chopped roughly
- 1tbsp sugar
- ¼ cup brandy
- Prepare strawberries by combining all ingredients in a jar, shaking to dissolve sugar. Refrigerate until needed (and keep the leftovers for further yummies).
- Prepare tins. You can use single-serve cheesecake tins, or I often use a 19x12cm sized baking tray when I make it for 3 people. Line with baking paper, making sure plenty hangs over the sides for easy removal.
- Process the nuts until they are crumbly, not a powder. Add other base ingredients and process until forming a ball.
- Press base into prepared tin(s), until a uniform 5mm thick. Refrigerate.
- Combine cocoa butter, syrup and coconut oil in bowl over a saucepan of water on medium heat and melt together.
- Stir in the cocoa powder until smooth, then stir in the soy milk
- Quickly pour over prepared base, aiming to have about 1cm of ganache over 5mm base
- Refrigerate until 10 minutes before serving.
- Lift out and cut with a clean, sharp knife. Serve with strawberries.